May 6, 2014

Lip Sync, artRAVE Edition

Remember when Gaga said...

“I never lip sync, I never have lip synced and I never will. And as long as you’re paying money to buy a ticket to see my show, I’m not gonna waste your God damn time watching some bitch lip sync her way through an HBO special.”

Or...

"You think I'm gonna ask these sweet 14-year-olds to beg their parents to pay $115 or whatever and then get up there and run around in latex and lip-sync? Forget it!"on Howard Stern in 2011?

Or how about...

"I am not going to saunter around the stage doing pelvic thrusts and lip-syncing. That's not what I'm about."

True to Gaga tradition, here she is lip syncing at the artRAVE.


Notice at 1:09 when she sings "I can be - toniiiiiight!" she pulls her face away from the mic briefly, and for that split second we hear her voice going quieter (as it does when you move away from a mic). Then at 1:11 she pulls her body about a foot away from the mic and the sound doesn't change at all - not the volume, not the vibrato - nothing in her voice changes as she moves away from the mic. And is it just me, or does it look like she doesn't quite know how long the note's supposed to be? It looks like she's just waiting for it to end.

The best part may be at 1:50 when she lifts her hands up and somehow the piano chords keep playing.

Or is it at 1:55 when she's thanking the audience over the backing vocals and right into the vocals she's supposed to be singing?
 
Or maybe it's at 3:10 when the guitar player in the background (on the left) is looking at the guitar and appears to be changing chords by moving his hands up and down the neck of it, but not strumming because his other hand on on the laptop?

There are so many magical (literally) moments, it's hard to pick just one!

What was your favourite moment of the Gypsy performance?