It all started a mere four months after the release of Born This Way. In September of 2011, Gaga announced that she was already working on her next album, which her management at the time, Troy Carter, hoped would be given away for free.
Now that it's (finally) over, let's look back and see what promises Lady "I'm not a liar" Gaga made and broke during the ARTPOP era beginning right at its inception.
- The album will be out "before spring 2013" (ARTPOP came out in November 2013).
- The lead single will be out by the end of 2012 ("Applause" wasn't released until August 2013)
- She will be "making a small film for every song on the album"
- A fan will be able to film and direct one of her music videos
- The "Telephone" continuation was written and it would be included on ARTPOP, will have a video, and will be performed live
- The interactive app: "ARTPOP will be released as an iPad, iPhone, mobile and computer compatible application that is completely interactive with chats, films for every song, extra music, content, Gaga-inspired games, fashion updates, magazines, and more still in the works!"
- "Venus" will be the second single, confirmed with release date
- "Venus" music video filmed and coming out
- "Do What U Want" music video filmed and coming out
- "Princess Die" confirmed, later dropped from album
- Two versions of "Princess Die" recorded, one featuring Lana Del Rey, later dropped from album
- "Tea" confirmed, later dropped from album
- "Red Flame" feat. Azealia Banks confirmed, later dropped from album
- "Ratchet" feat. Azealia Banks confirmed, later dropped from album
- "Brooklyn Nights" confirmed, later dropped from album but fans were told it would be available for download on the "app"
- "Onion Girl" confirmed, later dropped from album
- "Temple" confirmed, later dropped from album
- "Kick It" Gaga's favourite song for the album, confirmed, later dropped
- The ARTPOP gallery - fans from all over the world were asked to create works of art to be displayed at the artRAVE in Sydney, Australia. A weekly "winner" would be chosen to meet Lady Gaga in person.
- ARTPOP II - full-album sequel, existence confirmed but may remain unreleased
Tons of songs confirmed, recorded, and later dropped... tons of videos planned, recorded, but never released...
And almost NEVER an explanation or an apology for it.
Now we're officially in the Cheek to Cheek era. But don't think for a second that a new era means a new attitude. Gaga's already spun a couple of lies about Cheek to Cheek that have disappointed her fans, namely:
- There will be original songs (plural) on the album
- "Paradise", Gaga's first original jazz song, confirmed, later dropped
Are we ready for a new era? Is Gaga?