February 28, 2013

A documentary I want you all to watch

  



Over the past few months, I've been digging deeper into a conflict that has infected a part of our world so tragically and so deeply.   The conflict between Palestine and Israel.  I know this is completely off the topic of this blog but I'm sharing this with you all because I have a large audience and I want this documentary to be heard and watched.  My intent is not to offend any of you nor do I mean any ill will.  What I want to do is educate you and shine a light on a topic that maybe some of you aren't fully aware of.  Maybe most of you are.  I don't know.

Like many people, I believed that the Arab world were these evil people that were nothing more than wild animals.  That they were full of hatred and that their only way to make a point was through violence.  I now know that I was just another mere sucker that bought in to what mainstream media, mainly American media, fed me.  Those days are over. 

The more I learned about the plight of the Palestinian people, the more I empathized with them.  With that empathy eventually brought utter disgust toward the Israeli government and what they do to these people.  Notice that I did not say "the Jewish people".  There is a big difference.

I want to make myself very clear - I support the existence of Israel.   I also support the existence of a Palestinian state.  What I do not support are the actions Israel took to establish their state since the end of World War II.  My research into the conflict has showed me that Israel will stop at nothing to create and maintain their state even if that means systematically displacing and disposing of another group of people.  I also do not support the acts of terrorist organizations and suicide bombings; and I never will.  That type of militant retaliation does not work and only serves to worsen the problem.  But as an inquisitive and curious person, I had to ask myself why.  Why do some of these people feel that their only option is to strap bombs to themselves and blow things up to make a point?  The answer is because everything else they've done has reached deaf ears.  They are frustrated and angry and I can understand that.  However I condemn their actions.

The Holocaust was a dark, disgusting stain on the history of humanity.  What happened should not have happened and should never, ever happen again.  Not only to the Jewish people, but to anyone.  So why, I must ask, why does the Israeli government inflict practically the same treatment toward the Palestinians as the Nazi's did to them?  The Holocaust is used today to manipulate people.  For example, in Europe you cannot say anything against the Jews and the Holocaust without being arrested.   It's illegal.  You cannot criticize Israel without being labelled an Anti-Semite, which is complete bullshit.   Appallingly, the Holocaust has been used by the Israeli government as a means to justify all that they do even though most of it is illegal according to the Geneva Conventions.  It's my belief that the Israeli government will not be satisfied until every square foot of Palestine is theirs and until every last Palestinian is gone.

To me, this isn't a matter of religion or race.  Take that part away.  I removed that completely as to not be influenced when forming my opinion  I looked at the Israeli / Palestinian situation strictly from a humanitarian point of view.  It's a matter of basic human dignity and injustice.  Some of you may agree and some of you may vehemently disagree.  I can appreciate that it's a very emotionally charged subject.  All I ask is that you watch with an open mind.  So please, take some time to watch the above documentary and below, this brilliant speech by Roger Waters at the United Nations.  Thank you.



I also encourage you to watch Louis Theroux's documentary "Ultra Zionists".  It's a real eye opener.


BBC - Ultra Zionists - [FULL DOCUMENTARY] from DJ Rubiconski on Vimeo.


I believe that each side is guilty for the situation that exists today but it seems that Israel has not taken any accountability for their part of the contribution.  Until they do, peace does not stand a chance.