February 3, 2013

Gaga's former PA and friend shares her side of the story

Jennifer O'Neill wants you all to hear her side of the story.  Yesterday, Lady Gaga tweeted this:


It's not hard to figure out that what she's saying is O'Neill was her friend first and assistant second and the demise of the friendship is "painful stuff".  I can understand that the loss of a close friend is very painful.  Now, let's see what O'Neill says from the article at The Daily Mail.

'I was by her side virtually 24 hours a day, seven days a week,” O’Neill said in her deposition. 'That includes sleeping in the same bed with her. Because she did not sleep alone.'

'Unlike anybody else on that tour, I did not have my own hotel room. I was not asked if I wanted my own hotel room, I had no privacy, no chance to talk to any family, no chance to talk to any friends, no chance to have sex if I wanted to have sex. There was no chance to do anything.' 
'And she was quite irate that she couldn’t reach me on my phone a couple of times, and was quite angry and asked me why she was paying for this hotel room if I was unreachable,'

'Another thing she would do in the middle of the night, would be wake me up to have me change the DVD in the DVD player because she didn’t want to watch that DVD any more and she couldn’t get up to walk across the room to change the DVD herself.'


Gaga and O'Neill
So while Stefani claims that her best friend and P.A.  was taking advantage of her and her new found fame, is it possible that Stefani was also taking advantage of her friend?   If what O'Neill is saying is true, her alleged less than stellar performance as a P.A. could very well have stemmed from the resentment she was feeling at being treated like a doormat by her best friend.

In her book Poker Face, Maureen Callahan says 'at 24, Gaga has ruthlessly fired more than 150 members of staff in less than two years during her meteoric rise'.
Also from the book:

"Her brash persona has kept this fact hidden completely from the world," says Angela Ciemny, the wife of Gaga's ex-manager David Ciemny, who became one of the singer's closest confidantes.
She adds: "After her break-up with stylist Matthew 'Dada' Williams in 2009, one of several men she has used, loved and left, she even hired me as a travelling companion."

"I didn't realise it when I accepted... but one of my responsibilities was not only to be with her when there wasn't a man in her life, but also to sleep with her in bed because she couldn't bear to spend the night without being able to reach out and touch someone."On tour, I would often say to her: 'Gaga, I have a husband to be with. I'll be in the very next room to yours with him.' But within minutes either the hotel phone would ring or she'd be texting me.

"We would get ready for bed together every night, do our make-up together in the morning and even shower together to save prep time.
"Under all the make-up and spectacular costumes, the truth about her is that she is desperately lonely."

Despite their closeness and the high regard Angela still clearly has for Gaga, the singer's "impossible" quest for perfection eventually drove her away, too. 


She adds: "She would slam me, very publicly, for a mistake as trivial as handing her the wrong pair of nylons for a stage performance. Eventually, I couldn't take it any more and quit.
"Most people never get the chance to quit on Gaga because she fires them first. Some people last weeks, even months, but I've seen plenty of others let go after only a few days."


Angela's husband, who helped shape Gaga's phenomenal rise as her manager for 18 months, adds: "I think my wife was one of the lucky ones. I watched Gaga fire more than 150 people while I was helping steer her career.
"Everything has to be perfect for her and, when it isn't, someone has to go."

There seems to be a pattern here and Gaga needs a lesson on what "personal boundaries" are.  It is not acceptable to ask your P.A. to change DVD's for you because you're too lazy or too spoiled to do it yourself.  That is a classic textbook example of an employer taking advantage of their employee, or friend, however you want to cut it.  It reminds me of a story about an acquaintance I met while living in Europe.  She was hired as an Au pair.  An Au pair takes care of the children, similar to what a nanny does. Anything related to the children, such as their meals, driving them to school, and so on, are the duties of the Au pair.  So you could imagine her surprise when her employer expected her to shovel their driveway when it snowed!   
Do you think Lady Gaga was taking advantage of her former friend?

Thank you LJ, Brienna and Heartbreak Avenue for the links.