May 19, 2012

Lady Gaga Faces More Protests in Manila


Hard line Muslims in Jakarta succeeded with their goal to ban the Born This Way Ball.   Will Christians in Manila be able to do the same?

Stefani arrived in Manila before her two day concert on May 21st and 22nd in the Philippine capital.   Religious groups claim that over 5000 are expected to attend the protest on Saturday night.  The fact that Stefani is already on Philippine soil means the work permit has been issued and the likelihood of a cancellation at this stage isn't realistic whereas in Indonesia, the work permit denial happened three weeks before her scheduled June 3rd concert.

The Philippines is a deeply religious nation with the majority being Roman Catholic and Stefani's song "Judas" is causing the most offense.  

Baptist preacher Benny Abante, who is also a former member of the House of Representatives, said the song “Judas” mocked Jesus Christ.

“You can’t just say, ‘Okay, I’m an artist, I’ll make an artistic expression’,” Abante told about 300 fellow protesters.

“You stomp on our Lord while saying you’re a fame hooker, you’re a prostitute wench,” he said referring to the lyrics of the song.

“We believe that this concert is grossly blasphemous, immoral, lewd, obscene and carries demonic and occultic undertones that are insults to our God and are direct attacks against our Christian faith,” Fred Magbanua, one of the Christian leaders, said.

I get his point about the hooker glorification.  How can you lecture young fans on abstinence yet glorify being a prostitute? That's a rhetorical question.

While I am not a religious person and am not offended by Stefani or anyone else, religious groups should find some solace in knowing that Lady Gaga is simply a wannabe.   She tries to be controversial for the sake of being controversial with no real message or emotion behind her supposed artistic endeavours.  It's pseudo-controversy and very superficial.  When one sets out to be controversial and goes does the beaten religious path, it should be evident that it's a ruse to garner attention, headlines and talk. 

True controversy is marked by someone who truly believes in something, expresses their view through song, paintings, writings or film and manages to piss a whole lot of people off by accident.   Stefani's is not real.  The lyrics to "Judas" are a joke and you just know she sat there and thought "I'll write a song mocking religion to piss people off".

So religious people, don't get angry.  Just point your fingers and laugh like everyone else.  You should be able to recognize that her shallow religious mockery is not sincere and is just a gimmick to remain relevant and that's all there is to it.

More on Religion

Just a personal note to Zoe.  When I say I'm not religious, I don't mean I'm an atheist.  I consider myself a free thinker.  What I mean is that I do not follow any organized religion because I believe it's man made and it's purpose is to brainwash and control people through fear.  I do not believe it is God made, whatever "God" may be.  I believe there is something out there but am not arrogant enough to claim to know what it is unlike the men who created organized religion.

The Bible and other texts were written by men who left out scriptures they don't agree with and included ones they do agree with.  Therefore it's cherry picking.  It tells us we are bad people and will burn in hell if we do this or that.  So religion breeds fear. 

Thou shall not kill.  Unless it's in the name of God, then it's justified.  What about war?  Is that exempt from this commandment?  Religion is also full of hypocrisy governed by hypocrites.

Texts written thousands of years ago, which should be considered out dated today are used as ammunition to create laws and persecute groups of people, be it homosexuals, women or other races.  Religions are pitted against other religions, all claiming to be the one true religion. Organized religion has bastardized anything spiritual and only reserves love for what it THINKS God would love.  That offends me more than anything Lady Gaga could ever do.  God loves all but organized religion does not.

Having said that, since I do believe in a God-like energy (I call it Nature), I could also be offended by Stefani's religious mockery but I chose not to be.  Mainly because her lyrics and antics do not bother me one bit because what is in my heart is stronger than anything she, or anyone else does.  I enjoy Marilyn Manson but I also get him.  I get that he is challenging organized religion which I feel should be challenged.  People that are too clouded by their religious convictions would find that offensive instead of opening their minds and exploring a little bit.   Gaga doesn't challenge religion.  She's like a court jester prancing around making a fool of herself believing she's being deep, provocative and poetic.  That's what I mean by "point your finger and laugh".