March 1, 2012

My Thoughts on the Born This Way Foundation


           


If you haven't seen the Born This Way Foundation Launch yesterday, here it is in full.  I finally got around to watching the whole thing and my first initial impression is that Stefani doesn't really have a plan to combat this.  Something I suspected from the start.  Having said that, I do believe her heart is in the right place.  I didn't come away with the impression that she's full of it in this regard.  Not totally anyway.  I do think she places a huge amount of self importance on herself though.

It sounds like what she wants people to start doing random acts of kindness, which is great.  There are and long have been organizations already trying to get this movement going.  For example, the World Kindness Movement started in 1997. Or the Australian Kindness Movement and Huggz.  So there's isn't anything really revolutionary about what she's trying to do.  

The next obvious question is what makes her foundation different from the rest? Followed by what makes her think she can change "culture" as she puts it?  

At 18:22, a gay married man with children asks her how her and her foundation are going to make childhood a safer place given all the social networking tools out there to make the children feel unsafe or vulnerable?  Gaga responds "well, I'm not going to....you are".  She says to him that "it's ok to say you can't use that website or you shouldn't be on that program or this kind of language is inappropriate".  Again, parents already know this.  Most parents monitor what their kids do on the Internet.  Some are successful and some not so much.  She isn't saying anything ground breaking or new.  

She also relays that the key is for parents to teach their kids to be loving and accepting.  That's a very lofty idea.  Parents have always been doing that.  My parents did the same but did it stop me from picking on someone?  No, it didn't.  I was picked on a little in elementary school so I chose someone I deemed weaker than me and picked on her.  It's a vicious circle.  I personally believe that this is what kids do and kids can be so mean.  Dare I say it's part of growing up, however unfortunate it is.  It's like a pecking order.  I'm a firm believer that if you want to understand human behaviour, look toward the animal kingdom.  Could we be as simple as the hierarchy in a wolf pack or lion pride?  In some ways, I think we are. 

Stefani also acknowledges that there is no bullying law that can be passed.  She's right, but there are harassment laws and if a teen or child takes it too far, does it warrant an intervention from the law?  I would say yes!!  Even if an actual charge isn't going to be laid, a little visit from the police would be enough to scare the kid to walk the straight and narrow.  My guess is he/she wouldn't bully anymore after that!

As far as the mental anguish in kids goes, that's what psychologists are for.   Stefani's foundation doesn't have a cure nor the answers and she acknowledges that.   Is that refreshingly honest or not being prepared and not fully knowing what the plan is for her foundation's crusade?

At this point, as frivolous as this is, I'm sick of hearing the word 'brave' and associating it with her.  All I hear is her squeaky voice saying "brave" every time I see the word on a page. 

Most of her answers to questions posed at her are very repetitive and redundant but she acknowledges it and covers up that fact by saying she's doing that on purpose and aligns herself with John Lennon and Yoko Ono.  Um, no thanks.  That part I don't buy.  Stefani also says "if anyone can get a message out there, it's me".  Explain then why a large amount of her fans aren't getting the message?  She can't even influence them!

What do you think?