October 7, 2011

Lady Gaga: When The Annoying Has Become Pandemic

by Miss Stef 

When Lady Gaga first exploded on to the scene with her hit Just Dance,  I found myself really warming up to her fast. I thought "There's something about this one.  She's different".  I remember being in Thailand when Poker Face was out.  It was December 2008 and that song was everywhere.  When that song came on at a nightclub, I would always catch myself singing along to it and dancing.  I'm not a fan of the pop stars of the past decade or so,  so when Gaga came out, she seemed like a breath of fresh air.  It didn't take long for her to leave a bad taste in my mouth as she is with many, many others.  Gaga morphed from being this new, enigmatic musical force in to the most annoying caricature of a pop star from the minute she started opening her mouth.  This exasperating hurricane was picking up speed, unleashing a never ending torrent of feces across the planet.  However, it looks like that hurricane is about to hit land.

So what is it about Gaga that is so insufferably annoying? Where do I begin!


The Hypocrisy and the Lies


“It’s just a personal choice that I don’t like to buy diamond watches or Range Rovers or expensive houses. I just like to spend money on the show. I’d rather have the biggest show on earth than the biggest house.”

"Because I just really don't give a fuck about money at all. I just came from my apartment in Brooklyn that's smaller than this studio." 

"Money and recognition were never a driving factor for me.  I was driven by recognition by showbiz. What does come along with showbiz is recognition, but the money goes right back into the show. If I had to give it all away, every dollar that I've earned, I would." (Isn't that the same thing? Nice play on words) 

What you just read are quotes from Lady Gaga.  What you read is also complete bullshit.  



This is Lady Gaga's home in Bel Air.  I'm not sure if she rents it but either way, it was hers at one point.  As you can see from these pictures, she doesn't care about money at all.

On top of that, there's the corporate deals. Google, Barney's, Polaroid, Heartbeats Headphones, Best Buy, Amazon, Coty, Estee Lauder, Backplane, Bre.ad, Zynga.  About Zynga, Zynga created GaGaVille, which is even more annoying than Farmville, where fans can get exclusive tracks as well as Gaga virtual items to use in Zynga’s games. Talk about shameless self promotion from someone who says she was never driven by recognition or doesn't care about money.  She's certainly jumping into bed with all these huge companies for what? Be ignored?  Lose popularity?
I don't have a problem with anyone making money and I'm certainly not saying to shun it.  But don't go around saying you don't care about it when clearly that is not the case.  One doesn't ink million dollar deals with corporate America to become poor.  A "starving artist" is starving for a reason and it's because they aren't getting rich doing what they love.  Gaga is not art.  Gaga is a corporation that is brilliant at spitting out a product and mass marketing it to a target audience. Gaga must think people are really stupid to believe her lies.  Oh wait, they are because they have.  Which leads me to the next part.


The Little Monster Cult and the Continuation of Lies

I want my fans to love themselves. It's almost like I want to hypnotize them so when they hear my music they love themselves instantly.
Lady Gaga  

 
What better way to secure one of the largest fan bases then by tapping in to the weakest areas of the human psyche.  Fear and love.  Everyone wants to be loved and accepted and everyone is afraid of rejection and abandonment.  The Gaga Machine used that knowledge, and through music and dialogue, she managed to put a seductive cloud over a large number of young people and manipulated them for personal gain.  She told you that you were an outcast.  She told you that you were different.  She told you that you were special.  She told you that you were born this way.  She accepted you when no one else would.  She told you she loves you and now you love you.  Now you think you are connected and a part of the "monster family".  How? Because she's hypnotized you with her music and drove her monster claw deep into your soul. How did you get hypnotized? You listened to her music; you listened to her spoken words.  In order to listen to her music, you had to buy her music and concert tickets.  You helped make her famous.  You helped make her rich.  As long as your only path to loving yourself is through Gaga's music, you keep her relevant and rich.  Brilliant isn't it. It's also annoying.


Every bit of me is devoted to love and art. And I aspire to try to be a teacher to my young fans who feel just like I felt when I was younger. I just felt like a freak. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm trying to liberate them, I want to free them of their fears and make them feel that they can make their own space in the world.
Lady Gaga

What makes this statement wrong is that Gaga doesn't know for certain that her young fans felt the same way she supposedly did at their age.  How could she possibly know that? She's assuming they do.  She took everyone who liked her music and packed them neatly into this nice little box.  She's calling you all freaks and telling you to embrace your freakishness because baby, you were born this way.  She's appointed herself to be your teacher but nobody was asking for a teacher, let alone asking her to be the teacher.  Why does she feel her message is more important than others that she had to put herself up on this pedestal and crown herself the messiah of self acceptance?  It's called Narcissism. One of the key characteristics of a cult leader is an over exaggerated sense of self importance.  Why do you think she wears 10 foot heels for?  To make sure she always stays above you.  They are master manipulators.  They draw people to them and charm them.  Gaga's mastered all of this through her manufactured pop act.  Why?  To make money and fill her need for power through control could be a reason.  All of this is not to benefit you but to benefit her. 

We also know that Gaga wasn't born the way she is.  She's manufactured. Period.  

When I was in high school, someone like her would've been dubbed a "know it all" and everyone knows that "know it all's" are annoying.  

“For all my love little monsters i am your mom you are my child in my hand i protect you like my eyes but don't worry ill catch you if you fall.”
― Lady Gaga


For God sakes! How?  Spoken like a true narcissist with a messiah complex.  How can she catch you if you fall?  She doesn't even know you.  You don't know her.  All you know of her is an image she so precisely controls, being ever so careful to make sure she's presented a certain way by the media.  You think you know her because she manipulates you to believe that no one on this earth except for her knows what makes you tick.  That she loves you so much.  She knows nothing about you and this is a fact.  It's not logically or rationally possible that she knows all her fans personally and can save them.


Another huge flashing sign of this is Jamey Rodemeyer.  Gaga did a damn good job catching him didn't she.  So good in fact that he chose to off himself instead.

And this whole "Mother Monster" thing and her fans calling her "mommy" is just creepy.  Stop it.  It's annoying. 

Her Clothing

One big eye roll.  Kermit the Frog.  The over the top theatrics screaming "Look at me, look at me!" and then labeling herself a "Fashion Icon".  Need I say more?  Annoying.


Vocabulary, Comments and Discourse

Have you ever heard Gaga speak?  Or have you read any of the comments she makes?  If you have and you happen to be one of those who can see past the lies, you've probably been perplexed by some of the things that roll off this woman's tongue.  It's all an attempt to sound highly intellectual, artistic and deep but usually ends up making no sense at all.  

“Live your eyeliner, breathe your lipstick, and kill for each other
-Lady Gaga via twitter”
― Lady Gaga

“Sexuality is half poison and half liberation. What’s the line? I don’t have a line. ”
― Lady Gaga 

There's no stopping. I didn't create the fame, the fame created me.”
― Lady Gaga

“Being gay is like glitter, it never goes away.”
― Lady Gaga 


What? Are you stumped too? Why is she telling her fans to kill for each other?  What does this mean "The fame created me"?  How does glitter never go away?  This is nonsensical gibberish.  More like Lady Blah Blah.

Then there's the dramatics.  If anyone could be the poster child for a Drama Queen, Gaga's your lady.  She's always crying over one thing or another that you can't help but wonder how much of it is contrived.  

 “I remember watching the mascara tears flood the ivories and I thought, "It's OK to be sad." I've been trained to love my darkness.”
― Lady Gaga

Oh please.  That has got to be one of the corniest things I've read.   

“What I have learned the most from my fans, and what you will hear most on Born This Way, is that it is part of my destiny is to take the bullets, but my heart keeps on beating. You cannot destroy me. Because I am an art piece.” - Lady Gaga

She's now become a martyr and an art piece.  Say what? An art piece?  Listen lady, you're no Mona Lisa and in DaVinci's era, you would've been the fly he swatted when it landed on his canvas. Your art is plagiarism so that makes you more of a "Plagiarism Piece" and your constant copying without giving credit makes you annoying.

The Ego and the Arrogance

Gaga passes herself off as just a simpleton like all of you.  She wants you to believe that she is humble and down to earth.  Nothing can be further from the truth.  Just like a narcissist, she really thinks she is better than you. She has got to be one of the most pretentious and arrogant entertainers alive.   Just listen to some of the things she's said.  



Just who is this bitch she is talking about?  She is obviously putting down any other artist that she thinks isn't as great as her.  That statement alone reeks of arrogance.



In this video, she says that she's like Tinkerbell and like Tinkerbell, she will die if you don't clap for her.  So clap for her damn it! Then she wants you to scream for her. SCREAM FOR HER!  Gaga is just dying for adoration and attention. I think the whole arena should've went silent and sat on their hands.

This is what she had to say to RWD Magazine about the lousy follow up to The Fame called Born This Way.

“The album is my absolute greatest work I’ve ever done and I’m so excited about it.”

“The message, the melodies, the direction, the meaning, what it will mean to my fans and what it will mean in my own life – it’s utter liberation".

“I knew I had an ability to change the world when I started to receive letters from fans: ‘You saved my life…’ ‘I’m gay and my parents threw me out…’

“My fans have related to me as a human being and as a non-human being – as a super-human person that I truly am.”

“BeyoncĂ© said: ‘Where the f**k do you get these ideas from?’ And I was like: ‘I don’t know Bee, it was just the way I was born’.”



This woman really thinks she's the messiah sent by the Gods to save the world.  The level of arrogance is unbelievable.  If Lady Gaga wasn't famous and she was a friend at school or a work colleague and she uttered these things, you would think she was stuck up and full of herself which makes her annoying and you know it.  She wouldn't be someone you'd want to spend a Saturday night with.  The only reason her fans don't feel that way about her is because she's a celebrity and she's thrown the wool over their eyes in a bad way.  Her fans are chumps. 



The Gays


There a storm brewing and there's a large number of gays turning against Gaga.  Lady Gaga appointed herself the Ambassador to the Gay Rights Movement.  For some reason, she thought they needed a leader to speak for them and there was no one better to wear that helmet than her.  Gaga released her single Born This Way which sounds so incredibly gay, so over the top gay that it reinforces every single stereotype and cliche that the gay community has been trying to move away from.  

Don't be a drag, just be a queen.

I've heard from several gay men that they aren't interested in being queens.  That they just want to be treated like a human being and not thought of as a theatrical parody running up and down the street at a pride parade with underwear on their head. I'm not gay and I have no idea what it's like to be gay or what a gay man or woman felt when they first realized they were gay or when they had to tell their family. I found an interesting article written on the subject.  Here's an excerpt and you can click this LINK to read the full article by Wallace Wylie.

                                                                                                                                                                   

I wanted to add a postscript. As many have probably seen, Lady Gaga made a video asking for the repeal of ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’. While humbly positioning herself as the voice of her generation, she also made this curious statement:

“We are not asking you to agree with or approve the moral implications of homosexuality”

Now, can someone tell me the moral implications of homosexuality? It seems like either she wanted to sound intelligent, and failed, or she is confusing gay rights with individual rights. She seems to think that being homosexual should be categorised with all libertarian causes, and not tied to basic human rights like the civil rights movement. Imagine, if you will, at the height of the civil rights movement, when many expressed open disgust with the idea of a black man and a white woman marrying, someone were to say, “We are not asking you to agree with or approve the moral implications of interracial marriage”. Yes, the legislator does not have to agree, but what would the moral implications be?

                                                                                                                                                                  

Gaga's brewed the bullshit tea and little monsters have been drinking it by the mouth full.

For new comers to the blog, you can read some of my earlier posts.

You're A Freak 

Gaga Says She's Born This Way 

Arrogance and Honesty 

Is it me or is she copying Marilyn Monroe here?