September 15, 2011

Annie Lennox Not Moved By Lady Gaga


Legend and icon, Annie Lennox, sat down with Stylist.co.uk for an interview to talk about her creative collaboration with the Victoria & Albert Museum and finally The House Of Annie Lennox.  During that interview, a question was asked of Lennox about Stefani.  While Lennox had several nice things to say about Stefani, not all of it was positive.  This is what she had to say.

Recently, Lady Gaga was accused of copying your look with her stage persona, Jo Calderone.
Gaga makes incredible art. She’s exceptional. The parallel was obvious, but whether she was copying me or somebody else doesn’t make any difference. Women have been wearing men’s clothes for centuries. It’s a powerful thing when a woman wears something less feminine. It’s saying; you must look at me slightly differently, I’m not just going to be a sexual object for you. The only thing with Gaga is, she doesn’t move me. I see a lot of commerce in people’s lives; a lot of drive and ambition, but what I often feel is lacking is emotion. That’s what I love about Adele.

Annie has a different opinion than I.  She thinks Stefani makes art, I think she's makes pathetic attempts at art and ends up looking ridiculous, laughable, desperate and like a try hard. Maybe Annie Lennox as just being diplomatic.  Furthermore.............

So when Adele wears a very paired down look of just black...
It’s so refreshing. People are reminded what it’s about. We want to be touched. We don’t need all the fripperies and excesses. We just want her voice. The problem with Gaga is, the burnout possibilities are very high. It’s like how hard do you have to work to flog that? How hard is it to be different every single day? I wouldn’t want that kind of burden.

So Lennox also sees how Stefani is burning the candle at both ends and how she's going to burn out, if she hasn't started to already.  Lennox also sees that there is no emotion in what Stefani does.  It's not real or has any depth or meaning. It's just for show and to help fill her bottomless pit need for attention. It's all very phony and contrived and so easy to see through if you just took a closer look.

Remember what Justin Timberlake said about Stefani?  No?  Well, let me refresh your memory.
"I'd love to see her come out with another record a couple of years from now that's completely different, maybe something Tori Amos could do," says Timberlake. "If I were Lady Gaga, I'd do whatever I wanted, which it looks like she's doing. She's just plain old good. But I don't know what the future holds for her. Her sound is so big. She's got the outfits and she shocks you, but you kind of wonder how an act that big stays around forever. That's why I'm curious to see her mix it up a little. I think she'll continue to make interesting music."
 
So now we wait for the little monsters to start calling Annie Lennox a washed up old has been.  So predictable and boring.....just like Lady Gaga.  Monsters, she knows a hell of a lot more than you do or ever will.

Credit to Ms. Jules for bring this interview to my attention.  See monsters, you can give credit without stealing from someone else and claiming as your own.