July 19, 2011

Gaga Responds To Better Midler

Gaga has responded to Bette Midler's claim that she copied the mermaid in a wheelchair routine.  

"(It was) not (a Midler tribute) in the beginning... because I didn't know that she'd done (it), but I do now and I think it's great. Obviously I feel connected to women in theatre and women from the past.

"Maybe we're just cut from the same cloth. I couldn't hop around in that tail so I just stuck myself in a wheelchair. All I'll say is that I... admire her and find her to be one of the most brilliant and incredible performers, so that's all I'll say." 

Gaga clearly is being extremely patronizing.  If she is so connected to women in theater, she would be educated and would and should know about Bette's routine.

She also could have had a mermaid costume that had a cut out for her feet which would be hidden by the tail allowing her to walk upright in the costume.  There are just too many accusations and very similar styles in a lot of what Gaga does, for them to simply be shrugged off as a coincidence.  Or to claim ignorance as she does in regards to Better Midler.

Gaga is the perfect example of someone that the comment "trying to invent the wheel" would be appropriately directed to.  It's been done, and aside from blind flop monsters, everyone else is aware of it.

Better Midler's last tweet to Gaga was , let's drink this over at the Emmys in September. Fabulous mermaids can coexist!"

I hope that drink Better is referring to ends up in Gaga's face after she throws it at her.