July 18, 2011

Down Under, Adele Is Still On Top


Even with all the gimmicks, hype, manufactured persona, little monster Gaga feeding frenzy, surprise visits at Gay nightclubs on Oxford St., over the top sexual shows with her dancers feeling her up on stage, ridiculous costumes that just scream "Look at me!!", Gaga still cannot top Adele in Oz. 

Gaga's 6 day visit Down Under to promote Born This Way did help her sales and it also helped boost Born This Way to the No. 2 spot on the ARIA charts (Australia's music chart).  It even helped shoot her single Edge of Glory to No. 6 from No. 22.  One has to ask though, why was it at No. 22.

That's easy.  It's called hypeI remember I went to see Alanis Morrisette once only because I had a friend working her tour and the tickets were free.  I was seated 2nd row from the stage, a damn good spot.  I should tell you I cannot stand Alanis' music but after the show, a small part of me kinda liked her.  I was feeding off the energy of her fans at the show and seeing her up close on stage.  After about 3-4 days, I went right back to not thinking of her at all.  

Same thing here with Gaga.  Her visit created an energy that was infectious.  It spread, but like all viruses, it will go dormant once again.  

Want proof?  Adele is still No. 1 Down Under.  Gaga's gimmicks and shenanigans still was not able to knock powerhouse Adele out of the No. 1 position.  Adele prefers the "less is more" approach.  She has been quoted "I think it's shameful when you sell out. It depends what kind of artist you wanna be but I don't want my name anywhere near another brand. I don't wanna be tainted or haunted," she said earlier this year.  Adele has also refused to allow her songs be attached to a product or advertising campaign.

Even though Gaga is embarking on a huge world tour in 2012 which includes stops in Australia; Aussie concert promoters keep Adele at the top of their list of artists they are dying to sign to tour Oz.  

She's reportedly hesitant because of a fear of flying.